Monday, September 24, 2007

TAGGIES - New toy,New Hazard

I was just doing what I love to do best: looking for toy news.

I was on PLAYTHINGS website because they are a toy magazine. They had an article on their site about a new toy called "TAGGIES". If you google it, it will pop up. Its a new toy that will be sold at Babies R Us, I believe. The idea is that babies love tags. So the company has created teddy bears that have tags on them. Its created blankets that have tags on them. See the picture below. The creators say that babies love to play with tags and somehow someway this will help the baby's coordination.



Now do u want to know what I think about it? The truth of the matter is, babies love to play with anything. Anything you give them they will play with. Some lady is going to make millions of dollars off of something so simple: connecting tags to toys?? Are you serious??

Here is my concern: I honestly believe that this toy will eventually be taken off the shelves- recalled.

Here is why: When you have a baby playing with a toy, they dont know what they are doing. So I KNOW that a baby will get this toy, stick their finger in one of the "tags" and start twisting it. As they twist the tag around their finger, the tag wil get tighter and tighter and tighter. What happens when something is too tight? It cuts off your circulation. What happens when circulation is cut off? There is no blood flow and it can lead to amputation.

So this toy idea is okay but I truly believe that it will eventually be recalled. So remember this article when you see that it is being recalled. The thing is, babies dont know the concept of twisting and untwisting, so thats what makes this toy dangerous.





Taggies, picture taken from the Taggie website.www.taggies.com

No comments: